Poppy seed chicken casserole
Ingredients for Poppy Seed Chicken
Classic Poppy Seed Chicken is made with cream of chicken soup, sour cream, LOTS of butter and Ritz crackers and is served over rice. This version starts by making homemade cream of chicken–don’t worry it only takes a takes a few minutes to make and the difference in quality is tremendous! And instead of the plain rice on the side, I chose to mix the rice right into the creamy sauce–that way this casserole is more hearty and the rice has so much more flavor!
To make this casserole you will need:
- Leftover Chicken–Use Rotisserie Chicken, Instant Pot Roasted Chicken, Instant Pot Chicken Breasts, or Oven Roasted Chicken Breasts
- Cooked Rice–Both brown rice or white rice work. In fact, even quinoa works well.
- Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup–which just requires butter, flour, chicken stock, and a few seasonings.
- Butter Crackers–Ritz crackers are standard, but I like to purchase organic butter crackers that are free from hydrogenated oils.
- Poppy Seeds
- Chia Seeds–I mix in chia seeds with the poppy seeds for nutritional benefits, but feel free to use all poppy seeds.
- Sour Cream–or plain Greek yogurt